About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Radio Notes

Items of note while tooling around in the greater DC area

Give credit where its due to 98 Rock (a Baltimore active rock station) that put one its HD stations (playing alt-rock) on the air on its terrestrial signal. I'm still not inclined to get an HD radio but at least I know one thing I'm missing.

DC 101 was playing the history of Generation X music. (If you don't know it, don't worry about it, you're not missing anything.) However, the DJ when describing the late 1980's radio scene in Seattle talked about that era and how it gave birth to "grunge" -- plenty of rain, wearing flannel shirts, and then unnecessarily mentioned that Reaganomics sucked. I don't think so -- and I'm not talking about the weather or the fashion.

CBS News had a bottom of the hour report last night on the UN report about how it's now or never time to act on global warming. So how do they add to the report? Then get some Greenpeace mouthpiece to urge governments to come up with a plan. (I'll ignore the fact that they were too lazy or incompetent to get someone who would dissent with the UN report.) But here's what got my goose -- the Greenpeace rep (she had a British accent for what that's worth) stood atop the moral high ground and demanded that government do the heavy lifting. That's a sweet gig.

No comments: