About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Random Thoughts

It's been a few months since the crisis at Walter Reed Medical Center and you mean to tell me that the only ones who lost their jobs were the Secretary of the Army, the Army Surgeon General, and the Center's commander? Well, what about the other managers of the hospital -- weren't they also part of the problem?

Have our counter-proliferation efforts come to a standstill now that Valerie Plame is no longer working at the CIA? In all the hype that surrounded her "scandal" I don't recall anyone saying that her departure was a big loss.

Having served in Iraq, the stuff that the New Republic is putting out seems far-fetched. You can tell the difference between an Iraqi soldier and a contractor -- probably a terp -- in a nanosecond. For starters, Iraqi female soldiers are few and far between. Further, the digging story doesn't ring true --given the description, either an engineer unit or contractors would have to support the level of digging that the unit is required to pull off. Anyway, I don't think the New Republic has a problem with made up stuff -- I think it of as a dreadful fiction magazine.

Is it me or is CNN.com an Internet version of a supermarket counter tabloid?

No comments: