About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Democratic Rock

In the mid 1980s, a buddy told me that the term "rock" -- as in music -- was as pliable as the term "democratic." He cited the Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea as an example. But for me, "rock" still has some meaning.

Unfortunately for the folks over at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the term "rock" is as pliable as ever.

I never cared for those music award shows because they rewarded sales rather than music performance. Furthermore they were just stupid. Who in their right mind would consider Jethro Tull a heavy metal band and reward them as the best of a particular year? Only the clueless.

So when the Hall nominates Madonna, one gets the feeling that they are as clueless as ever. (Don't even get me started on Donna Summer, the queen of disco.) Madonna was big in her day (late 80s - early 90s) -- and she can probably draw a sizable crowd today -- but to consider her as a rock performer is like telling North Koreans that that they should be happy living in a democracy.

No comments: