About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Friday, September 07, 2007

K-Mart Follies

So there I'm at a K-Mart. It doesn't matter where as they're all the same. It's lunch time. There's a long line and the cashier does a price check in the back of the cavernous store. (The cashier was a young woman; the customer requiring the price check was a young man -- I think they were checking something other than prices.) The customer next in line goes berserk -- well sort of. He finds the manager to complain but it appears that the manager is recovering from some sort of back surgery as he was missing a spine. After a few minutes, the cashier returns and keeps muttering, "I'm going home; I don't need this." (When folks mutter that -- they're hurting for cash and need the job like they need air and water.) The upset customer is still complaining as he walks out the store. I make my purchase and realize that unless they're giving stuff away, it will be a long, long time before K-Mart gets any of my business.

No comments: