About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Eggnog Thoughts

Thoughts while sipping on some eggnog.

...The Yanks scored a coup in signing Mark Teixeira for $180 million. He'd better get that money up front. Casual fans won't be able to afford going to the game in the new stadium and given Wall Street's dire situation, the corporate fat cat is now an endangered species.

...So Tina Fey is AP's entertainer of the year. Who knew they were in the business of awarding that? Who was last year's winner? Is there a prize? If I were a cynic, I would think that she "won" the award for the same reason Jimmy Carter "won" his Nobel Prize a few years back. Namely to stick it to the GOP. BTW, if I were Ms Fey, I'd enjoy the attention. It's not likely to last long.

...I'm waiting for one of Mike Lupica's patented "ad hominem" attacks on the ethically-challenged Charles Rangel. I guess he has to clear it with the New York Daily News' editorial board first.

...Joe Biden is looking awfully insecure for a Veep. You get the feeling that he has served his purpose -- giving Obama & Co. some senior statesman cred. I see him going to a whole bunch of funerals.

...I can't be the only one who gets creeped out when Caroline Kennedy is referred to as political royalty can I?

...Is Keith Olberman like Charles Dickens? It seems that the former, like the latter, is getting paid by the word. Keith, take a breath or two. Savor the moment.

No comments: