About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Time For Letterman to Pack It In?

Sure.


It's not as if he's funny any more as he resorts to joking about statuatory rape; nor is he bringing in the ratings, either. (He's been losing to Nightline on ABC for crying out loud.)


I think his attraction is the same as Bruce Springsteen -- people remember him for what he was in the 1980's and 1990's -- not for who is now. (Does anyone ever yell at a Springsteen show -- "Hey, Bruce play the new stuff!" I don't think so.)


Curiously both have become hit men for the left as they age (and get richer). Go figure.


I've discussed Letterman's shtick before noting how it's become stale and bitter. There's no need to review it again.


Nonetheless, CBS seems intent to have him on the air for a few more years -- hoping to pick up those who don't get Conan O'Brien's sense of humor. However, with Leno coming on at 10 PM this fall, Letterman may be hurt. (Why stay up to hear jokes at 11:35 when you can hear them at 10 PM?)


With the economy they way it is, you would think CBS would be a bit more careful about how it spends its money on an aging partistan has been.

No comments: