About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Friday, October 10, 2008

A Stroll Through NYC

I know we haven't weathered this financial imbroglio yet -- there is a lot of bad things (and no doubt some good things) that will arise before it's all settled -- and that may take years.

Perhaps I've seen one too many episodes of "24" and this financial meltdown is only a distraction for God knows what else is on the way.

But for now, it isn't a panic. Last night in lower Manhattan people were going to restuarants -- many enjoying the Indian, er, Native American, summer nights and dined outside. I also saw folks commuting to and from the financial services sector. Granted they looked glum, but they did have their jobs.

I write this because the media -- such as the New York Daily News and Bill O'Reilly (whom I actually like) -- are making this financial meltdown to be the worst thing ever. (Spend a few months in Iraq or Afghanistan -- and get a sense of perspective.)

It may be but that's certainly not the case now.

No comments: