About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Troublesome Signs

Do you know what's a troublesome economic sign -- how about "Building for Lease"? There were plenty of those signs to be seen along the I-95 corridor between New York and Washington, DC this week. Sadly, there were a few more to be seen along the lesser travelled roads of Pennsylvania and Maryland.

Those buildings aren't going anywhere. It doesn't take long for the economy to destroy an enterprise and clear out a building. Entrepreneurship, however, takes a while and it may be quite some time before those buildings are occupied.

That's the headache with a sour economy -- there's more than just one problem to solve and one size does not fit all.

No comments: