About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Monday, February 02, 2009

Monday Musings

In today's New York Daily News -- dead tree edition -- there are four quarter-page ads for sex stimulants; two dreary Mike Lupica columns and an advertisement on the front page. Trust me -- they are all inter-related.

Given his soft spot for tax cheats, I won't be surprised if Obama selects Marc Rich for an ambassadorial appointment some time soon.

Since his last two movies have disappointed both in terms of grosses and a profound lack of of humor -- it seems that Will Ferrell has decided to "special effects" his way back to the top in "Land of the Lost". That odor you smell is the desperation in the air.

Ever since he's been on the air -- since what '92 or '93 -- I can count on one hand the number of times that I've watched Conan O'Brien. Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem to be, well, funny. I was totally clueless as to his Super Bowl ad.

There is no way the "stimulus" bill is going to be ready for signature on President's Day weekend. More like St. Patrick's Day -- alas with plenty of green still to be found.

I fear for the republic when Barney Frank says silly things such as. "No tax cut builds a road. No tax cut puts a cop on the street. No tax cut educates a child ..." Frank, of late, seems to be like the drunk at the end of the bar who knows what's best for America, if only people would listen. Alas, he's drunk with power.

Jim Farber, the NYDN music critic is a dolt. "Master of Puppets" by Metallica is not an S&M anthem -- it's about drug abuse. Geez.

No comments: