About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Monday, January 12, 2009

College Football and Big League Money

Now that the clamor over the college national champion has died down a bit, let me offer my two cents.

Consider me old school when it comes to a college football championship. I liked the idea of some 6-5 team getting a chance to play one more game. After all, they're just students that are playing. So what, if two or three teams could claim to be the best team in the country after New Year's Day? It would be long forgotten after the first kickoff that following August.

However, the pernicious impact of money has sullied the game. Given the way the Bowl Championship Series has defined a champion -- with the attendant prize money -- you have the worst of all possible worlds: an undisputed champion that creates a lot of dispute.

According to the rankings, here are the top ten teams in the country -- along with their odds of winning it all as of 27 March 08:

1. Florida 13-1, 5/1
2. Utah 13-0, (Field, 18/1)
3. USC 12-1, 7/2
4. Texas 12-1, 15/1
5. Oklahoma 12-2, 8/1
6. Alabama 12-2, 40/1
7. TCU 11-2, 250/1
8. Penn State 11-2, 25/1
9. Ohio State 10-3, 7/2
10. Oregon 10-3, 70/1

I don't know if the odds for these teams improved or worsened since 27 March. What I do know is this -- no Vegas odds maker was expecting the undefeated Utes to play as well as they did -- in fact they weren't worthy of consideration.

But if you're going to pay out -- it better be at 5 to 1 odds than at 18 to 1 odds.

I'm not implying any link between professional gambling and the college game. But when money -- whether it's prize money or gambling money -- is involved, it only worsens the situation.

There are two possible solutions -- take the money out of the game or have some type of championship playoff.

No comments: