About Me

"Talk," she commanded, standing in front of me. "Who, what and why?" "I'm Percy Maguire," I said, as if this name, which I had thought up, explained everything. Dashiell Hammett, "The Big Knockover"

Friday, March 20, 2009

What's Going On?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Among our political class:
  • The President appears on a comedy show and in the process mocks the handicapped.
  • The President and the Congress sign a stimulus bill that nobody has read -- perhaps only after the fact. (Something akin to a battle damage assessment?)
  • The House of Representatives, in a show of faux-anger, passes a law taxing the AIG bonus babies at a 90% rate despite the fact that it's not likely to withstand Constitutional muster.

In our media world:

  • MSNBC wastes valuable prime-time trying to delegitimize the Republican opposition.
  • The Fox blow-hards invite guests simply to hear themselves talk. Why bother to send the invites -- just yak away? (It may be too much to ask either Fox or MSNBC to actually gather and report news?)
  • The local Fox affiliate news program showed a bunch of anti-Iraq War protesters last night. The spokesman was someone out of high school who said the war couldn't be won. (You can't blame him though as the media has been silent about the war since it's been won and that's not news.)

Granted, I'm cherry picking my examples but I think the point is clear -- we're are living in a crisis but our political and media classes are simply not up to the task.

No comments: